Assault charges on Kingsley man held for trial

BY STACI WILSON

Sexual assault charges leveled against a Kingsley township man were bound over for trial following a preliminary hearing Monday in Montrose District Court.

Paul J. Kester, 56, faces multiple felony counts of aggravated indecent assault of a person under the age of 13 as well felony endangerment charges stemming from alleged incidents that occurred in Harford Twp. over four years ago.

He also faces misdemeanor charges of indecent assault and corruption of minors.

The alleged victim, now 16 years old, was the only witness offered by the prosecution at the hearing.

She testified that Kester touched her inappropriately and in a sexual nature on at least 10 occasions. She said she was 11-12 years of age at the time of the alleged incidents.

During cross-examination by defense attorney Thomas Meagher III, the girl said Kester had asked her not to tell anyone about the alleged incidents.

“Don’t tell anyone. It’s our secret,” she said Kester told her.

A witness Meagher called to the stand was not allowed to offer testimony.

District Attorney Jason Legg argued the witness could only offer testimony regarding the credibility of the alleged victim and could not dispute what had been presented as fact by the girl.

In his summation, Meagher acknowledged that “in light of the rules that bind us” the charges would be bound for trial to the Court of Common Pleas.

“We’ll have our day in court there,” he said.