Forest City boys stay unbeaten

FOREST CITY- From midfield, Forest City’s Jake Fedak saw a gap where Ryan Long was standing about 20 yards out from the goal – alongside a handful ofLakelanddefenders.

Taking a chance, Fedak passed to Long, who turned and booted it into the goal for the equalizer, and the Foresters got the game-winner on an own goal less than two minutes later to beat Lakeland, 2-1, in a battle of Division III unbeatens Tuesday afternoon at Forest City.

ForestCity(5-0) lost both its games to the Chiefs last season, something that fueled the energy on the field Tuesday.

“I was thinking about it the whole day at school,” Fedak said. “I was like, man this is going to be such a big game. I was really hyped up.

“I saw (Long) there, and as soon as I played the ball, I thought he was going to be offsides, but he poked it right over the keeper’s head. That first goal just gave us momentum.”

Keeping up the pressure onLakeland(5-1),ForestCity’s second goal came with eight minutes left in the game.

As goalkeeper Scotty Cortes made a diving block on a Foresters shot, the ball spun past his fingers and rolled into the far left corner of the net.

“Without that first goal we wouldn’t have rallied back at all, no way,” Long said. “When coach (Sam Long) is saying keep the energy up, it got us going even more.”

With 17 minutes to go in the first half,Lakeland’s Matt Morell assisted James Blevins’ goal to give the Chiefs the 1-0 advantage.

The Chiefs continued to stave off the Foresters offense, including a jumping save by Cortes on a Dave Cavalieri direct kick with 16 minutes left in the half.

ButForestCityrode the momentum of its second-half goals, a momentum it hopes to take into Thursday’s matchup againstRiverside.

“It’s a huge morale booster going into the away game,” Fedak said. “We’ve just got to keep the energy up.”

Elk Lake’s Alex Manzek battles with a Montrose opponent during a 2-1 win over the Meteors in Dimock on Tuesday. PHOTO COURTESY OF KRIS MORAHAN

Elk Lake

Elk Lake’s boys’ soccer team faced a 7-1 loss on the road from Holy Cross on Thursday after it picked up a 2-1 win over rival Montrose in a game played in Dimock on Tuesday afternoon.

Against Holy Cross, Ryan Wilson gave the Warriors the lead with a goal at 28:54 in the first half before Holy Cross scored seven unanswered goals to take the win.

ElkLakehad 11 shots on goal and four corners while goalie Matt Cuomo had 19 saves.

On Tuesday, Montrose got on the board first with a goal from Matt Lewis off Joe Zuber just 48 seconds into the game.

However, a Tanner Reyen goal off an assist from Ryan Wilson from Elk Lake at11:26 left the game tied at 1-1 at halftime.

After the break, Reyen connected again, this time with an assist from Tyler Arnold at 74:05 to boost the Warriors to a win.

ElkLakehad seven shots on goal and two corners while goalie Nick Dudock had 17 saves. Montrose had 24 shots on goal and three corners as Meteor goalie Justin Hartman had five saves.

Blue Ridge

TheBlue Ridgeboys’ soccer team faced a 6-1 loss fromLakelandat home on Thursday after it traveled to Old Forge on Tuesday where the Raiders faced a 2-1 loss from the Blue Devils.

AgainstLakeland, the Chiefs had a 3-0 lead going into halftime, before opening up the second half with a goal to make it 4-0.

Wes Ward scored the Raiders’ only goal at 29:24 in the second half before the Chiefs found the net two more times to take the win.

Blue Ridgehad 10 shots on goal and four corners while goalie Tama Galu-Edgar had 18 saves.

On Tuesday, Old Forge held a 1-0 lead at halftime before coming out in the second half and putting the Raiders at a two-goal deficit.

Despite a goal from Ward at 69:41, the Raiders couldn’t mount a comeback and took the loss.

Blue Ridgehad 11 shots on goal and four corners while Galu-Edgar had 12 saves.

Mountain View

Mountain View’s Eagle boys’ soccer team took a 1-0 victory overDelawareValleyon the road Thursday after it faced its first loss of the season from Scranton Prep, 3-2, at home on Tuesday afternoon.

AgainstDelawareValley, a lone goal from Zeb Cross at 43:15 in the second half sealed the victory forMountain View.

Mountain Viewhad eight shots on goal and three corners in the victory.

On Tuesday, despite taking a 2-0 lead over Prep goals from Dylan Thomas off an assist from Z. Cross at 25 minutes in the first half, and a goal from Colby Thomas with an assist from Joe Jarrow at 49 minutes in the second half, Scranton Prep stormed back with a pair of goals to put the game into overtime.

That’s where Prep’s Jake Pompey found the net at 89:58 to hand the Eagles their first loss of the season.

Mountain Viewhad 24 shots on goal and eight corners while goalie Nathan Moyer had six saves.


The Montrose Area boys’ soccer team battled to a 1-1 tie with Valley View on Thursday through two overtimes.

Montrose got scoring started with a goal from Erik Burgh at17:38in the first half before Valley View’s Corey Capooci found the goal at 38:28 in the first half.

The two teams then held one another scoreless through three periods to end in a 1-1 tie.

Montrose had 24 shots on goal and two corners while goalie Justin Hartman racked up 13 saves.