SCCTC building trades requests pricey rolling toolbox

BY PAT FARNELLI

One month after the purchase of three vehicles for the Susquehanna County Career and Technology Center, Superintendent William Bush submitted a Costars package bid for a commercial cutaway truck for the building trades program at the board meeting for the SCCTC and the Elk Lake School District.

The estimate for the 2012 fleet non-retail Chevrolet Express Commercial Cutaway rear wheel drive vehicle totaled $28,695.48. This included a Costars preferred customer discount of $8480.39.

At the March meeting, the school board awarded bids for three vehicles for the career center. The vehicles purchased included the following: a 2012 Chevrolet Suburban from Frederick Chevrolet at $32,998; a 2012 Chevrolet Express 3500 Van from Sherwood Chevrolet at $27,725; and the former drivers education car, a 2010 Chevrolet Malibu, from the Elk Lake School District at $13,562.

The cutaway truck is intended for use by the building trades students, who are constructing a nearby home, which will be offered for sale. The truck will transport and store the tools used by the students, which have been taken to and from the building site in the vehicles used for student transportation.

School board member Matt Curley reacted to the agenda item. “$28,000 for a proper lock box seems kind of exorbitant to me. It’s not going to get a lot of wear and tear, going that short distance.”

Board presidentChuck Place said, “We don’t need a new vehicle for such a short distance.”

Business manager Kimberly Hollister said that they did price used trucks, and that a price of $20,500 was quoted for a 2010 model without the ramp.

The truck would be purchased through the regular budget, it was noted.

Several visitors were disapproving of the proposed purchase. No action was taken.

An equipment purchase agreement for the SCCTC’s new phone system was also available for view. The new system was quoted at $86,985.90, with 20 percent down at $17,246.47. The remaining 80 percent could be paid when the system is installed and operable.

“This system would overlap with what the SCCTC already has, and would make us well positioned for the future,” Bush said.

The board approved a fund accounting check summary for the house project account for the date of Apr. 17. Checks for Erie Materials for shingles at  $4,249.25, Friedman Electrical Supply Co. for $2,351.96, Home Depot Credit Services for weathershield and nails, for $91.56, Mariotti Building  Products for $216.78, Montrose Septic Service for $90 /month portable toilet, and for Pennywise at $390 totalled $7,389.55.

Royalties received from Cabot Oil & Gas for the month of March were $30,701.22.

Several new programs were added to the course offerings for the SCCTC in time for the 2012-13 school year.

These include: Security and Protective Services, Small Engine Repair Technology, Welding Technology, Autobody/Collision and Repair Technology, Health Information/Medical Records Technology, and Electrical, Electronic and Communications Engineering Technology.

SCCTC Director Alice Davis said. “We need to address the welding needs for the oil and gas industry, as well as opportunities in construction, bridges, etc.”

An extensive interview process was conducted for a welding instructor, and an individual was recommended for the position, Bush said.

Several cosmetology students spoke on their experience at the SCCTC’s adult program, and one announced the addition of massage therapy to the cosmetology program.