Harford Church dedicates building
BY HELEN B. FOSTER
“This is an historic day in the life of an historic church,” Pastor Will Hagenbuch told the congregation of First Congregational Church, UCC of Harford as he welcomed everyone to the New Building Dedication Sunday Service on June 3.
Taking part in the ribbon cutting ceremony were the church’s oldest members, Dick and Eloise Masters, who cut the ribbon; Ken Bennett, Harry Gardner, Gary and Marcia Housel, Ivy Simons, Lisa Hahn, Joann Titus and Ron Phillips.
The church’s first “meeting house” was built in 1806 with the present structure being built in 1822. It was in 2010 the church members voted to move forward with a major building project that allowed for a Pastor’s office, church office, handicapped accessibility, choir space and flexible space for Sunday School as well as storage.
Being a Congregational Church the congregation/church members and those non-members who give financial support to church vote on any major changes. This undertaking was approved by at least a 60 percent “yes” vote and the work went forward.
The week-end of June 1-3 was devoted to the new addition. On Friday evening there was a covered dish dinner with tours; Saturday was Kids and Community fun day with games and food for all and also tours of the new addition. Sunday was the Dedication Service at 9:30 a.m. with a fellowship hour following.
Included in this special Sunday service was the Service of Holy Baptism for Aubrey Elizabeth Bailey, daughter of Katie Brown and Michael Bailey. Marcia Housel was the presiding Deacon as Pastor Hagenbuch performed the baptism.